The Kennedy School Pool is currently closed. All practices are being held at the Somerville Y.
2022-2023 Swim Season
Try outs are held during swim team practice at the Somerville YMCA.
- Swimmers will need to attend one tryout session. If they do not pass, they will need to try again next season.
- Tryouts will be ongoing from Monday-Thursday starting Monday, September 26 and end on Friday, October 28.
- Swimmers can come to the pool to try out anytime between 5-5:30 pm.
- Tryouts only take about 10 minutes, so I ask that a guardian be present with swimmers to leave after tryouts.
- Please fill out the Google Form below to let me know what day you will be coming, so I can be prepared. Tryouts will be held at the Somerville Y.
If you think you want to join the team this year, please fill out the google forms at Swim Team Registration
The Somerville YMCA Swim Team is a competitive swim team that practices at the Ginny Smithers pool in the Kennedy School from September-April.
The practice schedule is as follows:
Monday and Friday 3:30-5:00 pm
Tuesday 6:00-7:30 pm
Monday- Thursday 5:00-6:30 pm
Monday-Thursday 3:30-5:00 pm
*Our time slot starts a bit later in the day as the Kennedy Pool is Somerville High School’s home pool, and the winter season is when they practice.
*Practice is offered 4 times a week, but swimmers are only required to participate 2 times a week. The days you choose are up to you and your child’s schedule. There are not designated times for different ages.
Since it is a competitive team, we do have swim meets. Yearly we have about 6 dual meets (about 2-3 hours long) they are held at either at the Kennedy or the opposing team’s pools. They are on the weekends, and attendance is mandatory for at least 4 meets. We try to get the schedule out during the first month of practice to plan accordingly.
There are 2 additional championship meets that swimmers can qualify by their times for.
The price for the 2022-2023 season will be $475. In addition to the fee, you will need to purchase a swimsuit (cost is between $35-$65 depending on the decided upon suit) .
I hope to see you all soon!
I am looking forward to seeing everyone return from last season! If this isn’t the case for your swimmer, we’ll miss you. Please send me an email so that I can take you off the distribution list.
Parent’s Time Commitment
I think this is an important topic that should be discussed. As a swim parent, you will be required to volunteer some of your time.
- It is required that you volunteer for at least 2 home swim meets. We cannot run the meet without your help! Many jobs are simple and make the time go by so much faster!
- The YMCA provides no transportation for meets or practice, so you will be required to get your swimmer to both. After a passed tryout, I send a Google form to parents/guardians that allow you to join a shared document that you can coordinate with other parents on transporting!
- There is an optional class in the fall for parents to take to become a “Swim Official.” This is a pivotal job that is required for a swim meet. The YMCA will pay for your certification!