The Somerville Y is excited to offer a new, simplified online registration process. We strongly encourage you to register online. In-person registration is available; however, the front desk will be using the online system as well. There will be no preferential treatment for registering in person. Classes fill very quickly so register as soon as possible to secure a spot.
- Online registration is FREE for Somerville Y youth members. No Youth Membership payments accepted on day of registration.
- Child MUST be a current member to register.
- If child’s membership is not valid, they will be removed from the class list and the spot given to the next in line.
- Register child for the correct swim level. Child will be removed from class list if level is incorrect and disrupts the flow of the class. Another class level is not guaranteed due to class ratios. When in doubt, choose a lower swim level.
- Once registered you will receive an email confirmation with your class information.
- Please call the Y to be placed on a waiting list if your preferred class is full.
Your child’s membership MUST BE CURRENT PRIOR TO REGISTRATION DATE to register online. Please update your child’s membership AT LEAST 24 HOURS PRIOR to the registration date. If your child’s membership is expired, they WILL BE REMOVED from the class list and that spot will be open for the next person in the queue.
Class links will go live on May 3rd, 2023, at 9:00am
Spring II Session Dates
Tuesday lessons will run from May 16th to June 20th
Wednesday lessons will run from May 17th to June 21st
Thursday lessons will run from May 18th to June 22nd
Saturday lessons will run from May 20th to June 24th
NO CLASS SATURDAY MAY 27th
Free for members (1 class per week)
Membership $65.00 a year
Non-Members fee $75.00
To register click on the time slot you wish to sign up for.
You may only sign up for ONE class per child.
If you sign-up for more than one, neither slot is guaranteed.
Level 1 (Intro to Water skills, Age 6+)
Level 2 (Fundamental of Aquatics, Age 6+…must be comfortable in deep water)
Level 3/4 (Stroke development and stroke improvement Ages 7+…must be able to swim one length of the pool on front and back)
Level 5 (Swim Clinic, must be able to swim a minimum of 2 lengths of the pool on back and front)
Swim Lesson Guidelines
- Do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to class start
- Every swimmer MUST shower before entering the pool
- Swimmers 6 years and older MUST have their own bathing cap.
- The pool will NOT have any caps available to borrow. Caps can be purchased at the desk.
- Swimmers 6 years and older will NOT be allowed to swim without a bathing cap.
- Parents/guardians should remain in the sitting area.
- Parent/guardians are responsible for any child they bring to the pool area; whether it be watching or waiting for swim lessons. Please be respectful of the ongoing lessons and keep voices and devices to a minimum volume.
- No running on deck or in the sitting area.
- Swimmers more than 10 minutes late will not be allowed to swim as it disrupts the class. Consistent tardiness and/or absences may lead to removal from class list.
- We aim to provide a safe swimming experience for all; behavior issues will not be tolerated, and child may be asked to leave the pool if they are consistently disrespectful or unsafe toward instructor or other swimmers.
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Make-up classes are not permitted due to class ratios.
- If the Y must cancel a class, every effort will be made to reschedule but it is not always a possibility due to scheduling.
- Aquatic Director has final say on child’s swim level placement. If a child is registered for the incorrect swim level, they may be removed from the class. The Aquatic Director will try to place the child in the appropriate level but due to student/instructor ratios and the safety of the participants, it is not always possible.
- Lightning: The pool will be cleared if lightning is spotted. The pool will remain closed for 30 minutes after the last lightning strike.
- If fire alarm sounds, please quickly gather your child/children and exit up the back stairs towards the front desk if it is safe to do so.