Pre-School swim lessons are for ages 3-6 years old.
At this level swimmers explore jumping into shallow water, submerging entire head, picking objects off of bottom, breathing rhythmically, gliding front and back, changing position, combining arm and leg action on front and back, and water safety.
Program Location: Pool
Program Ages: 3 to 6 years
Program Cost: $66 per session
Contact Info: 617-625-5050
Preschool/Infant Registration Info
Wednesday, May 10th @ 9:00am
By popular demand the Somerville Y is excited to offer a new, simplified online registration process. You will need to register online only. In person or phone registration is not available. If classes are full, you may call the front desk to be put on the waitlist.
- We do not offer membership for this age group.
- Please choose your class type, day, and time from the links below and pay using a credit card.
- Links will go live on May 10th at 9:00 am
- Once paid, you will receive an email confirmation with your class day and time.
- Please call the Y to be placed on a waiting list if your preferred class time is full.
Spring II Session Dates
Tuesday lessons will run from May 16th to June 20th
Wednesday lessons will run from May 17th to June 21st
Thursday lessons will run from May 18th to June 22nd
Saturday lessons will run from May 20th to June 24th
NO CLASS SATURDAY MAY 27th
To Register click on your desired time slot
You May only sign up for ONE Class per child.
If you sign up for more than one, neither slot is guaranteed.
If your desired class is full, below the class times, click on Waitlist to be taken to a Waitlist form
Can your child swim 15 feet unassisted?
Can your child float on their back for 10 seconds?
Is your child comfortable submerging under water?
WAITLIST if your class is full
Parent/Child and Preschool Classes
All children who are not yet potty-trained must wear a swim diaper or rubber pants (or both) during their time in our pool. Bathing suit must be worn over swim diaper.
Swim Lesson Guidelines
- Do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to class start
- Every swimmer MUST shower before entering the pool
- Swimmers 6 years and older MUST have their own bathing cap.
- The pool will NOT have any caps available to borrow. Caps can be purchased at the desk.
- Swimmers 6 years and older will NOT be allowed to swim without a bathing cap.
- Parents/guardians should remain in the sitting area.
- Parent/guardians are responsible for any child they bring to the pool area; whether it be watching or waiting for swim lessons. Please be respectful of the ongoing lessons and keep voices and devices to a minimum volume.
- No running on deck or in the sitting area.
- Swimmers more than 10 minutes late will not be allowed to swim as it disrupts the class. Consistent tardiness may lead to removal from class list.
- We aim to provide a safe swimming experience for all; behavior issues will not be tolerated, and child may be asked to leave the pool if they are consistently disrespectful or unsafe toward instructor or other swimmers.
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Make-up classes are not permitted due to class ratios.
- If the Y must cancel a class, every effort will be made to reschedule but it is not always a possibility due to scheduling.
- Aquatic Director has final say on child’s swim level placement. If a child is registered for the incorrect swim level, they may be removed from the class. The Aquatic Director will try to place the child in the appropriate level but due to student/instructor ratios and the safety of the participants, it is not always possible.
- Lightning: The pool will be cleared if lightning is spotted. The pool will remain closed for 30 minutes after the last lightning strike.
- If fire alarm sounds, please quickly gather your child/children and exit up the back stairs towards the front desk if it is safe to do so.