THERE WILL BE NO PICKLEBALL SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9TH. THE GYM FLOOR IS BEING REFINISHED.
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is a paddle sport played on a scaled down size tennis court, utilizing wooden or composite paddles and a plastic wiffleball. It combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong and can be played singles or doubles. The rules of Pickleball are simple and the game is easy for beginners of all ages to learn. Games can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competition for players of all skill levels.
Somerville Y Fall Pickleball Hours
Mondays: 12:00-1:30 pm
Thursdays & Fridays: 12:00-2:00 pm
Sundays: 12:00-2:00 pm
Free for Members
$14 for a Day Pass for Non-Members
The net will be set up in the gymnasium for pick-up play on a first come/first serve basis. If more than one group want to play, please be courteous and rotate play. If Pickleball grows we will institute a registration process.
The Y will supply paddles, but feel free to bring your own. Indoor balls will also be available to use. Please collect the balls and paddles after play and return to the ball caddy provided.
The court will be mapped out with markers. Official Pickleball rules will be on hand.
The Five Basic Pickleball Rules Are:
- Serving must be underhand from the baseline, diagonally crosscourt, and the serve cannot land in the no-volley zone (kitchen).
- The serving player/team must let the return of serve bounce.
- The ball must stay in bounds during play and bounce no more than once per side.
- Players cannot hit the ball in the air when in the kitchen.
- Games are played to 11, win by two. Points are only scored by the serving player/team. There are more rules to the game, but these five will help you to get started. Have fun!